MEC Meeting Minutes : August 11th, 2016 at Town DPW Building
Attendance: Fred Bunger, Pete Peterson, Marie Nolan, Fred Davis
1. Previous Minutes. July 14th MEC meeting minutes accepted.
2. Energy Manager/Facilities Manager. – Fred B. reports that new Director of Facilities for Town, including schools, will be starting Oct/Nov; he is currently facility director for Town of Weston. The expectation is that the position will take over duties of Al Peterson and Andrew Seaman, and eventually hire an assistant who will be an explicit energy manager.
It’s frustrating to lose the Energy Manager position. Maybe have funds from solar production go into an Enterprise Fund to fund the position.
3. Schools. Earlier in the afternoon, Fred B., Paul Fechtelkotter, and Fred D. met with Mike LaFrancesca, Bus. Mgr. for Schools.
Audit Considerations. Mike has various ideas about measures for the Energy Reduction Plan (ERP); but thinks the 2008 “Benchmarking Report Prepared for Medfield High School” by Steve DiGiacomo for Nstar, is likely to be too old to be useful.
Controls. On the other hand, the Trane control system in the high school is significantly askew, with data being reported totally incorrectly, and over-heating and over-cooling going on at the same time in different rooms, including at the time of this year’s graduation (parents and graduates were way over-heated). Mike is currently collecting quotations from controls suppliers for replacing the current controls systems across all schools, especially in the high school; eventually such system could connect with rest of town. MEC would like these proposals to include explicit estimations of energy savings through improved controls; such could be part of ERP.
School Dude / Facilities Dude. Mike uses the former; Andrew used the latter.
4. Energy Manager’s report by Fred B., who reports that communications with Andrew has been difficult, as he is moving.
Garage Solar: RFP is out, several responses; New Ecology prepared the RFP; who reviews the proposals?
META grant (new name for OATA) is in to DOER for MAPC to prepare Energy Reduction Plan; status unknown.
Mass Energy Insight – Andrew needs to provide codes so MEC members will have read-only access; maybe Andrew could train MEC. Same for Facilities Dude.
5. DPW. Fred B. met with the new DPW Director, Maurice “Mo” Goulet. Mo will be attending future MEC meetings. Also, Fred says commissioning of the new DPW building would be one of the energy improvement projects*.
6. Energy audits for ERP.
RISE audits. Marie: Sam Nutter at RISE offers to audit all Town buildings that are gas-heated. Scheduled already is Council on Aging on 8/24. Fred B.: Paul Fechtelkotter emailed that RISE would go ahead with auditing school buildings.
WWTP & Water. Fred B. spoke with Bob McDonald, advising to look at EUI. Also, we should be able to claim in ERP savings from new water tower pump.
AECOM lighting audits. Fred D. reports that Derrek Brown of AECOM agreed to review and revise last year’s lighting audits for Library, Garage, and Council on Aging, to include new LED fixtures (instead of replacement LED tubes) and controls as appropriate. Decision to give them the green light if no extra cost; ask for report by beginning September.
Public Safety Building. Contract for solar was signed.
7. Solarize Medfield. Marie: now going through 100+ leads from various lists. First Meet the Installer night was successful, next is scheduled for Aug 18, then Sep 21. Looking for help for Farmers’ Market, 1-hour shifts between 2 and 6:30, on Aug 25, Sep 8, but it’s tough on a Thursday afternoon.
8. LED Streetlight Maintenance. Fred D. prepared a Request for Information to go out to a few companies that install and maintain LED streetlights, asking questions that have come up about how maintenance is structured once a town owns their own fixtures.
– Next meeting September 8th, 2016 at 7:30 DPW conference room
*[note: with outdoor temperature over 90F, meeting room was a needlessly cool 69F … the room thermostat was not adjustable… by end of meeting, room temperature mystifyingly continued to drop down to 67F … attendees had to leave, they were so chilled!]
Minutes respectfully submitted by Fred Davis.