Medfield Energy Committee
Jan 12, 2017
Fred Bunger presiding, Jerry McCarty, Cynthia Greene, Lee Alinsky, Fred Davis, Paul Fechtelklotter (taking minutes)
- December 8 meeting minutes accepted. Fred B. will make effort to put all 2016 meeting minutes in a single location for easier access.
- Annual report – FB.
Made minor updates to the draft report. Still awaiting updates for the solar projects – Fred B will submit revised report once he receives them.
- Green Communities –FB:
Fred B spoke with Kelly on Medfield’s application status. He received very positive feedback but no official response.
Axxum confirmed that there is money available for her to assist with our application for initial grants after Medfield receives confirmation of achieving Green Community status.
The expected deadline for submitting the grant application is 3 March. Jerry will be “on point” for the grant submittal with MEC support.
The MEC will have to identify priorities for spending the ~$148K in grant money, using Table 2 of the Energy Reduction plan as the starting point. Retro-commissioning of the High School and Blake are likely to be high on the prioritized list of projects since it will likely be difficult to secure funding for those projects in a competitive grant scenario.
Jerry has received preliminary pricing for retro-commissioning and EMS software upgrades from vendors and should have more data points by our February meeting. The costs were highlighted at the December MEC meeting and total ~$80K. He is also just starting to develop a list of items to include in his capital submission to the town.
Jerry is getting bids for replacing halogen lights at the library, weatherizing windows at the library, and replacing an exterior door at the library. Fred D. volunteered to assist with the library lighting effort.
Fred B. will make sure that committee members have the final version of Table 4 that was included in our Green Communities application package.
- LED streetlights – FD:
Fred D. walked through his analysis of typical maintenance/support contract terms that Medfield should put in place if the town owned the lights.
New funding sources and grants have recently become available that will reduce the net cost of the replacement effort from ~$89K to ~$67K
There are limited funds available so it is important to move forward quickly.
Fred B. will send Fred D’s package and data to Jerry and Mike Sullivan. He will also write a letter to the Board of Selectman on behalf of the MEC to start the process.
Should the project go forward, Medfield will still have to choose an LED technology. We can either leverage MAPC to make a recommendation or do it ourselves. A suggestion was made to engage Westwood for advice since they recently went through a similar effort.
- Town Solar – JM:
DPW Solar: No change in status since the last MEC meeting. Still engaged with Solect (who is the SRECs aggregator, solar maintenance, and reporting), who advised town to wait until next round of solar programs.
Public Safety Solar: everything is set but still waiting for ACA approval, which should come before 19 January.
- Solarize Medfield Status:
Tabled until February meeting.
- Other business.
Tabled discussion on best way to archive committee materials until February meeting.
Meeting adjourned around 9:15.