MEC Meeting Minutes-February 11, 2016
Attendance: Andrew Seaman, Lee Alinsky, Cynthia Greene, Pete Peterson, Maciej Konieczny, Fred Davis, Marie Nolan
- January 13 meeting minutes accepted with additions.
- High School Students – not in attendance.
- Energy Manager’s Report
- WWTP Solar – Could start generating next week. PV system will be accepted by Town 3/1/16. On wait list for SRECs.
- 60 kW system is being considered for Public Safety Building. Roof weight and conduits sized for this system. Dore & Whittier drawing up plans. About a 7 to 9-year payback with SRECs. Options include having it done by GC or going out to bid later. Building construction estimated to be done October 7, 2016. Awaiting word on expansion of SREC program before moving forward with these plans.
- LED streetlights – Revised analysis provided by Fred D and Andrew S. Fixtures and installation costs $104,864 ($88,677 after incentives). Results in savings of $34,740/year including utility incentives and installation. Simple payback of 2.6 years to replace all 347 lamps with new LED fixtures after purchasing old HID fixtures for $1. Andrew confirmed $1 price from Eversource, offer good until April after Town Meeting. If Medfield did not purchase streetlights, likely replace with high sodium fixtures like existing on as need basis. Concluded best to replace all 347 streetlight all at once. Westwood used this approach with grant money from Green Communities. Andrew S. will investigate adding line item for streetlight purchase in this year’s capital budget or adding a warrant article. If wait one year, then forgo the $34,000 savings for one year. Streetlights are mounted on Verizon poles. Town owns arm and lamp itself. LED light warranty is 10 years. Money could be set-aside annually in reserve fund to pay for replacement in 15 years.
- Solarize Massachusetts’ status – Marie N. presented proposal at last week’s Selectmen’s meeting. The program received endorsement by them and a letter of support was written. Andrew S. is to submit application with attachments to Mass CEC tomorrow. It could take 4-6 weeks to learn whether application is accepted.
- Community Shared Solar – similar to virtual net metering. Lee A. described the renewable Mass based program and will present possible projects for Medfield residents to consider at a future meeting.
- Next steps for Green Communities: MEC presented at Warrant Committee and Hospital Reuse Committee. Warrant committee will vote on stretch code article at their February 23rd MEMO meeting cancelled due to snow. Andrew S. scheduled to present at Permanent Planning & Building Committee but he may be on leave at the time. COA meeting to be scheduled. Recommended that at least I MEC member joins Andrew S at these meetings. Other community groups to present at: Lions, New in Towne, Medfield Green, and Legion. Andrew S will develop 5-year Energy Plan pending stretch code approval at Town Meeting. Press Release to be written on town energy-related initiatives. Looking into a possible writer to interview Andrew S.
- MMA Annual Meeting, Energy Session attended by Fred D. – Reported out the remarks made by the ISO-New England representative and the MA Energy Commissioner. General sentiment was that new natural gas pipelines are not needed in the state. Also reported at the meeting that over half (155) of MA towns are designated Green Communities.
Next month’s meeting – tentatively scheduled for March 17, 2016. Location and date to be confirmed.