How to Dispose of Holiday Packaging and No Longer Needed Items
Holiday gifting produces lots of packaging, and new gifts to replace worn, or less up-to-date items. Here are Medfield’s Transfer Station and Recycling Committee’s top 5 tips for their disposal:
- Use single stream recycling for the following:
- regular cardboard and corrugated cardboard boxes (please flatten and make sure there is no packaging inside)
- paperboard gift boxes
- greeting cards (except those with foil, metallic inks, or glitter)
- gift wrap, gift bags, tissue wrap (except those with foil, metallic inks, or glitter)
- paper shopping bags (remove any handles that are not paper).
- catalogs and calendars
The following does NOT belong in single stream:
- ribbons, bows, and tinsel
- packing peanuts and Styrofoam (see # 2 below)
- holiday lights
- plastic bags (see # 2 below)
- Hold your Styrofoam #6 (coolers, packing blocks, and packing peanuts) for the special collection on January 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Transfer Station. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap will be accepted if bagged separately. Air-filled packaging can be “popped” and recycled with plastic bags.
- Your Christmas tree (minus ornaments and tinsel) can be disposed of for composting at the Transfer Station. Wreaths should be disposed of on the tip floor as trash due to the wiring they contain.
- Electronix Redux will be at the Transfer Station January 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will accept unwanted computers, monitors, printers, faxes, entertainment systems, and other consumer products for a small fee. Electronix Redux is at the Transfer Station on the first Saturday of the month throughout the year, so if you miss them in January you can catch them another month.
- Donate unwanted items. The Town Garage office has the Medfield Reuse & Recycle Guide that provides a valuable resource of organizations that will accept your no longer needed items. The Transfer Station also has many recycling opportunities for these items including clothing, small electrics (Goodwill), books and DVD’s. You can find the reuse guide on the Town of Medfield Website under Transfer Station Brochures.
Begin the New Year with the resolve to make Medfield greener!