Town of Medfield Lyme Disease Citizen Study Committee
Meeting Minutes – Monday, June 23, 2014 – 7:00 pm
Attendees: Chris Kaldy (Chair), Frank Perry, Erica Reilly, Carolyn Samson, Pete Peterson
Minutes – reviewed meeting minutes from May 19.
Controlled Hunt – looking toward next fall
Frank attended the ConComm meeting and received permission to hunt on their lands again next fall and to post a few “No Hunting without Permit” signs. Frank agreed to help clear their trails, etc. in return. Frank & Barry purchased tree stands and trail cameras for the committee. Reviewed hunting season sign wording for the fall. Next fall 3 hunters will not be returning to the program. Want to send out applications in late July; no proficiency tests or background checks needed for the current hunters.
Chris received permission from MWL to use their name on our pamphlet and printed some for Frank to hand out. She reported that per Barbara Roth, the Sunday bow hunting vote passed in the House for the 2015 season. Frank thinks it’s for private land only.
- Frank to hand out pamphlets for new land to hunt.
- Frank to review hunting rules for fall.
- Chris to update Hunting Season sign and send to Frank to approve.
- Chris to send out fall hunting applications over the summer.
- Erica will update website to say fall hunting program is full but can put name on waiting list by emailing the Hotmail account.
- Pete to send a letter to our state reps & senator (Garlick, Dooley, Timilty and Richard Ross of Wrentham) with our pamphlet, asking them to sponsor legislation to reduce the setback law.
Tick & Lyme Education / Website
Facebook: Erica opened a Facebook account for us and invited her Medfield friends to join. Will add Chris as an administrator so both can post information.
Medfield Patch: Erica was told by Matt to post her article on the Patch, which she did early June. It’s on the right side under Posts and may not get much traffic there. She’ll see if she can get him to give it more attention.
Park & Rec: Erica gave tick-warning signs to P&R to post, and they were thrilled. Asked about spraying fields – see below.
Cable 8: Carolyn found (2) 30 second tick videos from MDPH and received their permission to air them on our station. She’s waiting to hear back from Cable 8. Discussed asking station to run video as much as possible from now through November and then start again in March. Also will ask about adding our information at the end of the video airing.
School update: Chris reported for Nancy that Dan Wolff donated to each of the 5 nurses one of his tick removal devices.
- Erica will make Chris an administrator of our Facebook account
- Erica will keep trying with Medfield Patch for a headline article!
- Chris will follow up with Cable 8 on airing the tick videos.
- Chris will order the new educational materials from MDPH and/or CDC.
- Chris to buy small plastic dispensers for tick cards and take to local vendors to put at points of purchase.
- Xxx to ask library to consider posting information again on their bulletin board.
Resignation – Carolyn announced she is resigning from the committee. Her time and efforts are greatly appreciated.
Spraying fields – Erica spoke with Park & Rec to find out why they voted down spraying McCarthy fields for $1500 and learned that they thought they needed to cut back a lot of brush surrounding the fields. She told them a border was another option. They’d be open to a donation of $1500 to spray. J She learned Wheelock fields are owned by the School dept.
Michelle told us last meeting that Memorial school field was sprayed last year.
Frank suggested dragging the fields to see if ticks are present; others said their kids often come home with ticks from the fields. It’s a very large area to treat so perhaps just treat the border, or consider an investment in a 3’ barrier border. Discussed writing a position paper to send to Park & Rec and School Dept. We’d like to be a partner in any decision made. Tickencounter.org mentions the most effective chemicals.
Michelle was not present to report what she learned since last meeting:
- Michelle will contact Superintendent about how to go about getting this done.
- Michelle to find out who sprayed Memorial School.
- Xxx to create position paper to send to P&R and School Dept
Budget – new budget started on July 1; same as last year though okay to go over a bit if need be.
Next Meeting: Monday, Sept 15, 2014 in the Warrant Meeting Room at Town Hall, 7 pm
Submitted by Chris Kaldy